Website Privacy Notice
c/o Wenger & Vieli AG
Who we are?
In this privacy notice, "we", "us" and "our" refer to Brainforest Association, a Swiss non-profit association. Our registered office is: c/o Wenger & Vieli AG 10, Metallstrasse, 6302 Zug, Switzerland. For the purpose of data protection legislation, Brainforest Association is a data controller with respect to the personal information provided on this website and we operate this website.
What data do we collect and process?
We may collect and store the following types of personal information about you when you use our website or when you otherwise interact with us (for example, by email). This includes information you provide when opting in to receive our updates. The personal information you give to us may include:
- information sent to Brainforest Association through our website or otherwise (including your name and email address, the communication content and metadata associated with that communication), e.g. when you contact us using the contact form on our website or via email;
- technical information about your computer or mobile device, including internet protocol (IP) address, geographical location, web browser type, version and language, operating system type;
- your visits and use of Brainforest Association website, such as length of visit, page views and website navigation paths, and other similar information and statistics about your interactions, such as content response times, download errors and length of visits to certain pages, and more generally information collected through cookies and similar technologies (you have the right to object to the use of such technologies, for further details see Cookies section below);
- your subscription choices for Brainforest Association email updates;
- information you share with us in connection with any other communications you send us, for example to report a problem, recruitment queries, legal enquiries or to take steps, at your request, to enter into a contract between you and us;
- any other personal information you decide to communicate to Brainforest Association.
How do we collect your data?
We collect your personal information from you directly when you use our website or if you register to receive our email updates. We may also retain any messages you send us through the contact form on our website, by email, text and other electronic messages, or offline by sending us a postal mail.
To the extent you submit any personal information about other people to us, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit Brainforest Association to use such third-party personal information in accordance with this Website Privacy Notice.
How do we use your data?
to administer our website…
to communicate with you…
We may process your information contained in any query you submit to us about our organization and its activities, or in any communication that you send us. Such information may be processed for the purposes of communicating with you and record-keeping or to take steps, at your request, to enter into a contract between you and us, or the performance of such contract. The legal grounds for processing your information is our legitimate interest to properly administer the communication with our website users, our business and our website, or for the performance of contracts to which you will be a party and in order to take steps, at your request, prior to you entering into those contracts.
to send you our updates…
We may process your information that you submit to us when subscribing for our email updates. The legal grounds for this processing is your consent, which you may withdraw at any time (see Marketing section below for more details).
to comply with our legal obligations and to protect our assets and staff…
In the event that Brainforest Association or its assets are acquired by, or merged with, another company including through bankruptcy, we will share your personal information with any of our legal successors. We will also disclose your personal information to third parties (i) when required by applicable law; (ii) in response to legal proceedings; (iii) in response to a request from a competent law enforcement agency; (iv) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or the public; or (v) to enforce the terms of any agreement or the terms of our website.
Where you have agreed to receive our email updates, or we are otherwise entitled to contact you for marketing purposes, we may use your personal information to send you information about Brainforest Association, our projects, events and vacancies. You can stop receiving marketing messages from us at any time by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email we send you. Sending an email to email@example.com making this request is also sufficient. We will action any opt-out request from you without delay. Your consent withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal.
We do not carry out automated decision-making or profiling in relation to your personal information.
How long do we keep your data?
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. This involves us periodically reviewing our files to check that information is accurate, up-to-date and still required and to comply with applicable legal requirements.
Where you subscribed to receive our email updates, we may retain your contact information necessary for this purpose, for as long as you do not unsubscribe from receiving the same from us.
With whom do we share your data?
The personal information you provide to us may be shared with the following categories of third parties, if this is reasonably necessary to respond to your queries or for any of the purposes described in this privacy notice:
- independent consultants working for Brainforest Association
- third party organizations partnering with us
- our service providers
- our agents
We may also share your personal information with law enforcement agencies, other governmental agencies or third parties if we are required by law to do so.
We may also share your personal information with other entities, if we plan to merge with or be acquired by that entity, or if we undergo a re-organization with that entity.
International data transfers
The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") or Switzerland. It may also be processed by our independent consultants or staff operating outside the EEA who work for us, or for one of our service providers.
When we, or our permitted third parties, transfer your information outside Switzerland or the European Economic Area, we will use appropriate safeguards, namely we will impose obligations on the recipients of that data to protect your information to the standard required in the European Economic Area or otherwise require the recipient to subscribe to international frameworks intended to enable secure data sharing.
In the case of transfers by us, we may also transfer your information where the transfer is to a country deemed to provide adequate protection of your information by the European Commission, or where you have consented to the transfer (where permitted by law).
Your rights as data subject
At any time, you may exercise the following rights in connection with your personal information:
- request access to or a copy of any personal data which we hold about you, ask for a rectification of your personal data, if you consider that it is inaccurate;
- you may also ask us to delete your personal data, if you consider that we do not have the right to hold it, or to restrict the processing of it;
- you may withdraw consent to our processing of your personal data at any time (to the extent such processing is based on previously obtained consent from you) or ask us to stop or start sending you our updates at any time;
- in certain circumstances, you have the right to receive your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to another organization (your right to data portability) and to object to your personal data being processed by us on legitimate interest grounds.
To exercise any of these rights, you may submit your request by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org, which Brainforest Association will handle as soon as reasonably practicable, in accordance with applicable laws.
We aim to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate at all times. To assist us in ensuring that your information is up to date, do let us know if any of your personal details change by contacting us at email@example.com.
If you have any concerns about our use of your information, you also have the right to make a complaint to the relevant supervisory authority, which regulates and supervises the use of your personal data in your country of residence, your place of work or the place of the alleged infringement.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit and stored on your computer by your browser. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site. You can find more information about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org
The cookies we use:
- Necessary cookies: they are strictly necessary for the operation of a website. Without these cookies, this website won’t work properly;
- Performance/Statistic cookies: These cookies help us understand how visitors interact with our website by providing information about the areas visited, the time spent on the website, and any issues encountered, such as error messages. This helps us to improve the performance of our websites
We use Google Analytics to provide us insights on the use of our website. Google Analytics gathers information about website use by means of cookies. For more information about Google Analytics click here.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Many web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. The "Help", "Internet Settings" or similar functions within your browser should enable you to manage cookies. Please be aware that if you select to refuse or restrict cookies this may impact on the functionality of our website.
Changes to our Website Privacy Notice
Any changes we make to our privacy notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by email. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our privacy notice.
Use of our contact data
We hereby expressly prohibit the use of contact data published in the context of website legal notice requirements with regard to sending promotional and informational materials not expressly requested. The website operator reserves the right to take specific legal action if unsolicited advertising material, such as email spam, is received.
This privacy notice was last updated on 9 June 2020.